Being self confident is about believing in your ability to accomplish a task. We have covered several different ways that you can become more self confident in your everyday life. Today we cover how being thankful can also help boost your self confidence and your self image. Plus, some practical ways to being more grateful every single day.
How Does Being Thankful Help Me?
Research has shown that being thankful or being more grateful results in a higher quality of life. Two psychologists, Michael McCollough of Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas, and Robert Emmons of the University of California at Davis, wrote an article about an experiment they conducted on gratitude and its impact on well-being.1
This study included several hundred people that were split up into three groups:
- Group 1 kept a journal of what was happening in their lives everyday and were not instructed to focus on neither good nor bad.
- Group 2 was told to record only their unpleasant experiences throughout their day.
- Group 3 was told to keep a list of things they were grateful for.
The results of this simple study were astounding. Group 3 had the following benefits of keeping a gratitude list, the individuals reported higher levels of:
- And Energy
Additionally, those in the gratitude group experienced:
- Less Depression and Stress
- Were More Likely to Help Others
- Exercised More Regularly
- And Made Greater Progress Toward Achieving Personal Goals
All of these benefits of being more grateful in life correlates with having a higher self confidence and even a better self image.
Remember, self confidence is about feeling comfortable in accomplishing a task. Thus, having more enthusiasm, determination, optimism, energy, and being able to make more progress on your personal goals will boost your confidence!
Additionally, Dr. Emmons – who has been studying gratitude for almost ten years and is considered by many to be the world’s leading authority on gratitude – author of the book, “Thanks!: How the New Science of Gratitude Can Make You Happier”, has done even more research in gratitude…
In his further research in living a life of gratitude, he discovered even more benefits! The benefits of practicing a life of gratitude includes:
- Being More Creative
- Bouncing Back More Quickly from Set-backs
- Having a Stronger Immune System
- And Having Stronger Social Relationships
Any way you see it, being more thankful for what you have in life results in several health and social benefits!
How To Cultivate A Life of Gratitude
We now see from research that being thankful for what you have is not just good advice your mom probably shared with you, but it’s something that can totally change your whole outlook in life and increase your happiness greatly. Dr. Emmons has stated the following about living a life of gratitude:
“To say we feel grateful is not to say that everything in our lives is necessarily great. It just means we are aware of our blessings.”
Now is your chance to become aware of your blessings. Here are 10 ways you can become more thankful in your life:
1. Keep a Gratitude Journal. Remember, in the study mentioned above, the participants only kept a list of what they were grateful for every day. You can do the same by writing a list or just writing in general about what you’re thankful for. Make sure to take time out of your day, everyday, and don’t be distracted.
2. Remember the Bad. Life is not always peachy. You’re going to have struggles. However, you will have struggles again in the future. When this happens, you can reflect on how you made it in the past and will make it again. Bumps in the road don’t last forever and you will make it again.
3. Come to Your Senses. Through our senses—the ability to touch, see, smell, taste, and hear—we gain a new appreciation of what it means to be human.2 You’ll realize what an incredible miracle it is to be alive.
4. Use Visual Reminders. Two things that are holding you back from being grateful is forgetfulness and a lack of mindful awareness. Use visual reminds that will trigger thoughts of gratitude. This can vary from a bracelet, a ring, necklace, gratitude quotes, or even another person.
5. Make a Vow to Practice Gratitude. Research shows that vowing to do something normally increases the chances that you’ll do it. And if you make it publicly known, you’ll increase your chances even higher that you will start to live a life of gratitude. Your vow can be as simple as: “I vow to count my blessings each day,”. You can also post this somewhere where you will be reminded of it every day.
6. Watch your Language. This does not just mean to stay away from foul language that comes with a negative connotation. Yet, also gossiping and talking negatively about other people. What you say is what’s continuously in your mind, so make it positive!
7. Go Through the Motions. When you go through motions that show gratitude, you’ll trigger gratitude emotions. Grateful motions include smiling, saying thank you, and writing letters of gratitude.
8. Live in the Moment. Don’t get caught being focused solely on what you have to do today or even much further into the future. Instead, enjoy where you are. Enjoy the company you’re with, enjoy the scenery, enjoy what’s around you, enjoy your work, and enjoy every moment of your life right now.
9. Appreciate What You Have Right Now.3 If you’re always wanting something new or are living a materialistic life, then you’ll never fully appreciate what you have in your life. Be thankful for everything you have in your life. This can be your family, friends, and your possessions.
10. Immerse Yourself in Gratitude Quotes. What you’re thinking in your life is largely dependent on your surroundings. So, place up inspiring gratitude quotes that will move you to remember how good you have your life.
BONUS… Don’t Compare Yourself to Others. Having gratitude in your life is about being thankful for what’s in YOUR life. Don’t desire what people have or are doing. Enjoy YOUR life to the fullest!
Gratitude quotes are a great way to encourage yourself everyday to appreciate your life and what you have. Print these out for yourself or save them on your computer and start living a more Thankful Life!
- 110 Self Confidence Quotes
- Build Self Confidence with Goal Setting
- How to Find Purpose in Your Life
- Creative Problem Solving Strategies
- Home Page