Confidence is often easier to see in everyone else. We’re often quick to say that a certain person has high self confidence, but what do we really mean when we say that? How can we define self-confidence? Here are a few different definitions of self confidence for you to consider…
Self Confidence Definitions
- Dictionary.com – realistic confidence in one’s own judgment, ability, power, etc.1
- Wikipedia.com – relates to self-assurance in one’s personal judgment, ability, power, etc.2
- Psychology Dictionary.org – 1. Our self-assurance in trusting our abilities, capacities and judgements. 2. the belief that we can meet the demands of a task. To be confident on what I have done is okay.3
As you would expect, most self confidence definitions, starts with you first and then includes your own abilities. As a result, your self confidence will change depending on the task at hand.
For example, you may have more self confidence in being able to drive than in being able to give a public speech. However, knowing that self confidence relies in our own ability, this means that we can gain self confidence in anything we desire. Yes, some things may take more time to learn, but it is possible.
Additionally, self confidence is not the same as self esteem. Instead, self esteem is your self image, how you view yourself. However, your self esteem does effect your self confidence. If you don’t feel like you’re capable of much (low self esteem) then you won’t feel like you’re capable of doing very much (low self confidence).
Now that we have a self confidence definition, let’s see what we can do to build our self confidence….
Self Confidence Boosters
When we defined self-confidence, we saw that your self confidence relies heavily on your own abilities to do the task at hand. However, there are a few things you can do to help boost your self confidence. While going over self confidence quotes are good to get in the right mentality, these confidence boosters will help you to take action… Do not feel like these are the only self confidence boosters4 you can try or that you have to do all of them at once. Pick and choose what you want to do.
1. Prepare, Prepare, Prepare: After defining self-confidence, it only makes sense that we start with preparing oneself. This means you learn whatever you can about the task where you have a low self confidence. You can do this by researching online, finding a good book, talking to a friend or professional, going to a library, or anything else you think about. Rather it’s making friends, being more confident in a decision you make, or learning a new task… you will find a book ready for you to help you gain more confidence.
2. Make Eye Contact: When talking to others keep eye contact. Know what you have to say is important and you are worth listening to. Others will feel that you are confident in what you are talking about.
3. Make A Firm Handshake: Other people will respect you more when you have a firm handshake and this signals to them that you are confident in yourself.
4. Stick to Your Decisions: Once you make a decision, do not change your mind. Stick with it, even if you second guess it later. If you make a mistake, it’s ok. We all make mistakes.
5. Good Posture: Stand or sit with a straight back. This will “trick” your mind into thinking that you are confident and others will see it as well.
6. Have Positive Support: Surround yourself with friends and family that will lift you up. By being with positive people, you’ll feel better about yourself and feel more confident.
7. Speak Up & Be Clear: When speaking to someone or a group of people, make sure to speak up and be clear with what you say. Be confident in what you have to share with others.
8. Make a List: Make a list about what you like about yourself and look back to it often. This is a great self confidence booster because you’ll take into account what you’re really capable of. Additionally, make a list of what you’re thankful for to gain happiness…
9. Exercise: The self confidence definition above made no mention about your physical appearance, but remember, your self confidence is also influenced by your self esteem or self image. By exercising at least 30 minutes a day, you’ll improve your heart, lungs, muscles, your self-esteem, and your mood. This happens because exercise releases endorphins into your blood stream. The endorphins are “feel-good” hormones that help reduce negative thoughts and makes it easier for you to focus on the positives. Exercise also helps avoid destructive behaviors such as drinking alcohol and smoking, as you feel better about yourself. Learn more here: Gain Self Confidence with Exercise
10. Set Goals: What do you want to accomplish in life? Or what do you want to accomplish this year, month, or today? By setting goals, you give yourself a purpose. You give yourself something to strive for. Building self confidence is not always easy, so when something does happen you’ll know what you’re ultimately aiming for and you’ll keep moving forward.
1. Self-Confidence. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/self-confidence
2. Self-confidence. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-confidence
3. What is SELF-CONFIDENCE? http://psychologydictionary.org/self-confidence/
4. Reaching a Self Confidence Definition. http://nobullying.com/self-confidence-definition/